大工程 英语

ads

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
这里是美国之音慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

A fort is a place of protection.
堡垒是一个得到保护的地方。

It is a fortified structure with strong walls and doors, complex locks, barriers, and other security features.
它是一个坚固的结构,具有坚固的墙壁和门,复杂的锁,障碍和其他安全设施。

It is used as a defense.
它被用作一种防御手段。

It is a place often protected by soldiers and occupied by officials.
它是一个通常由士兵保护以及官员占据的地方。

Someone always is in charge or responsible for a fort.
总得有人掌管或负责一座堡垒。

And that is where our expression comes in.
这就是我们表达的由来。

If someone asked you to hold down the fort, you are responsible for a place while those who supervise it are away.
如果有人让你“hold down the fort”,那你就要在监督这个地方的人不在时对这个地方负责。

In other words, you are in charge!
换句话说,你是负责人!

You are the chief!
你是首领!

For example, once a friend and I were at my house preparing for a party.
例如,有一次,我和一个朋友在我家准备一个聚会。

But then I got an emergency call from my brother who needed a ride.
但后来我弟弟给我打了个紧急电话,他需要搭车。

So, my friend held down the fort at home and welcomed party guests while I helped my brother.
所以,我的朋友暂时承担起了我的工作,在家负责接待聚会上的客人,而我则去帮我弟弟。

Sometimes we just say hold the fort.
有时我们光说“hold the fort”。

This also means staying behind to take care of things.
这也指留下来去料理事情。

Again, whoever is holding the fort is in charge.
再说一遍,谁暂时承担工作谁就负责。

They are responsible for what happens.
他们要为发生的一切负责。

And they may be responsible for the safety of others.
他们也可能对他人的安全负责。

For example:
例如:

Marion is the most responsible of the group.
玛丽恩是这群人里最负责任的人。

So we left her at the house to hold the fort.
所以我们把她留在家里暂时料理一切事情。

There is another way we use the word "fort" in an expression.
“fort”在表达中的使用还有另一种方式。

In the American state of Kentucky, there is a famous fort – Fort Knox.
在美国肯塔基州,有一个著名的堡垒——诺克斯堡。

Fort Knox is a protected place in the United States.
诺克斯堡是美国一个受到保护的地方。

Why is it protected?
它为什么受到保护?

Fort Knox is a place where lots of gold is kept.
诺克斯堡是一个存放有大量黄金的地方。

Needless to say, it is heavily guarded.
不用说,那里戒备森严。

So, when we want to describe a place that is hard to get into, we can compare it to Fort Knox.
所以,当我们想描述一个很难进入的地方时,我们可以把它比作诺克斯堡。

A place that is like Fort Knox is inaccessible usually because it is locked or heavily guarded.
像诺克斯堡这样的地方通常很难进入,因为它被封锁或戒备森严。

We can also say a place is as safe or as secure as Fort Knox.
我们也可以说一个地方像诺克斯堡一样安全或稳妥。

Now, let's hear these two expressions used by two friends.
现在,让我们来听听两个朋友对这两个表达的使用。

Hi, Sam! What brings you to my place?
嗨,萨姆!什么风把你吹我这儿来了?

Well, Maxine is holding down the fort at home.
嗯,玛克辛在家料理事情。

So, I thought I'd stop by to see if you want to hang out.
所以我想我应该过来看看你要不要一起出去玩。

Sure! How about a walk around the neighborhood?
当然!在附近散散步怎么样?

I feel like I've been sitting all day.
我感觉我已经坐了一整天了。

Sound good.
听起来不错。

Let's walk past that construction project down the street.
我们沿着街道走过那个建筑工程吧。

They've been working on that house for months.
他们修缮那所房屋已经好几个月了。

I'm curious about the renovations.
我对它的装修情况很好奇。

Maybe we can sneak into the place and look in the windows.
也许我们可以溜进去从窗户那里看看。

That's a really bad idea.
那真是个糟糕的主意。

The property is locked up tighter than Fort Knox and probably has many security cameras.
那处房产封锁得比诺克斯堡还要严密,而且可能还有很多安保摄像头。

If you sneak in … you're on your own.
如果你偷溜进去,就只能靠你自己了。

And that's all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories.
以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。

Until next time …
下期节目再见……

I'm Anna Matteo.
安娜·马特奥为您播报。

推荐视频


扫码下载 VOA慢速APP

获取更多优质内容

抖音:VOA慢速英语

快手:VOA慢速英语

最后编辑于:2024/1/27 拔丝英语网

admin-avatar

英语作文代写、国外视频下载

高质量学习资料分享

admin@buzzrecipe.com